Friday, July 20, 2012

can,could,may,might-25

             

                                    can could able to may might  

                                  

Modal verbs or modals  will, would, can , could, may, might, shall,  should , ought and must are used with the main verb to express, certainty, possibility, permission  etc. Some grammarians consider need and dare as modals. Modals are called Modal Auxiliaries, Auxiliary means helping.

NOTE: Action verbs like write , speak, walk, run, eat etc are called main verbs or just verbs


Can denotes ability or inability  to do something it's not similar to able to
Jim can speak French  - Simple sentence /message etc.
Jim can’t speak French – Negative Sentence.


Making question – can
Can Jim speak French? –‘yes/no’ question
Yes He can.

Can’t Jim Speak French ? ‘yes/no’ negative sentence
No He can’t.

What language can Jim Speak? ‘wh’ question. – (Reference àFrench)
Jim can speak French.


Who can speak French? (Reference à Jim)
Jim can speak French.


More sentences - can
 I can play Guitar , but my friend can’t pay.
Can you change 50$. ‘We are sorry we can’t.’
Can She dive a car? No she can’t
Can they understand Latin? Yes than can.
I can Speak German, but can’t speak.


 Can and could –  In request
Shane Can I borrow you Tablet ? or Shane Could I borrow Your Tablet?
Can /Could I Speak to Clara please? (Over Phone)
Can/could you pass the  book please?
Can/Could you hold this for a moment please?
Could you pass me the sugar cubes please.


May  to predict possibility ( might is used in place of may informally)
The president may be at White house. (It is possible that the president is  at the White house.)
It may rain tonight.
He may not come tomorrow.


Could as past tense of can
I could lift this stone when I was young (Now I am old I can’t lift this stone.)
He couldn’t reach the air port on time, he missed the flight. (or) He wasn’t able to reach the Airport one time.
(We can use couldn’t or wasn’t/weren’t able to  for ability involving action.)
When the siren went on the people were able  to run to  the bomb shelter. (We can’t use could for ability involving 
action)


Can and could . In terms of effect
I could meet her, is less effective than I can meet her.
I could manage the situation is less effective than  I can manage the situation.
Could I borrow your palmtop, is less  effective  than,  Can I borrow your palm top


NOTE: Might is less effective than may      
I might rain tonight  is less effective than  It may rain tonight.
He might clear the exam is less effective  that he may clear the exam.

                             
May to express one’s wish
May the King live long.
May God bless you, my dear.
May God relieve us of the crisis.


Can/may  - For Permission
You can  leave now (May is more formal than can.)
Can I use this system.
May I sit here? Yes of course.


Can could may might  (With have)

Where is Clara?  She might have gone home.
Who has taken my keys, Mary might have taken your keys.
Titanic Crew could have saved the ship. (Had they been alert)
The pilot could have landed on the  secondary runway. (He ignored the instruction)
The rebels couldn’t have destroyed the government building (Without the local help)
Sarah could have attended the board meeting last week (She avoided it.)

 NOTE: Only past participle form of the verb is used after have  e.g.  gone, slept, taken etc.


In the News head lines (Virtual)
US might end sanctions on Cuba soon.
The Strom might hit the Northern coast tonight.
The Pilot might have mistaken clouds for the hills.
The rebels were able to enter the city.
The Government could have spared the middle class from the new tax net: Motherland Party

END OF THE POST                        
                                                                                                                                        


MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
                
                                   
                

No comments:

Post a Comment