Saturday, September 17, 2016

Greeting people -5


You Don't need to know any grammar rule to speak the following sentences, yet these are very important and friendly Expressions 
 
1.When someone does a favour to you, say
Thank you very much
Thanks
That’s very kind of you.
Thanks a lot.
 
Reply to the above statement
It’s O.K
That’s alright/it’s alright
You are welcome
Doesn’t matter
It’s my pleasure
 
2.When you require someone’s help, say politely
Could/would you please move a little bit
Could/would please turn off the music system in your room
Please help me lift/move this bag/box.
 
3.When you want to interrupt someone’s talk/ privacy say
Excuse me/Sorry for the Interruption/Excuse me, Just a minute.
 
4.When you didn’t hear something, say
Pardon me/sorry/excuse me/could you please repeat that.
 
5.When you cause harm to others unintentionally
Say, I am sorry, I am extremely sorry, sorry for……, Sorry I didn’t ……
 
More examples
Sorry I didn’t mean it.
Sorry I didn’t see you in the dim light.
I am extremely sorry for hurting you leg.
I am so sorry for making you to wait for such a long time.
Sorry I didn’t know that it’s your seat.
 
6. Appreciating someone
That’s it,  fantastic,  Marvelous, Well-done, Excellent etc.
 
7.When you are introduced to someone for the first time, say
Hello, glad/pleased/happy, to meet you. ‘I am’ may be added after ‘Hello’
 
8.When you are unaware of something, that someone has asked you, say
Sorry, Sorry I don’t know, Sorry I am not aware of this/that
 
9.Addressing people
a. Professionals Doctor/ Professor as Doctor/professor + last name. e.g. Dr. Smith,  Professor  Brown
b. Friend as Hi + last name.
e.g. Hi Davis, Hi Murphy
 
Address a women as madamMarried woman as Mrs. + her husband’s last name, 
e.g.  Mrs. James, Mrs. Baker
 
c. Married/single woman as Ms. + last name (used in business environment)
e.g. Ms. Davis, Ms. Bell
 
d. Single or Unmarried woman as Miss + last name (Not common these days).
 
e. Males married/single say Mr.  + last name
e.g. Mr. Brown,  Mr. Lee , Mr. Khan,  Mr. Patel
 
NOTE: When the people are well known to you.  You may use first name
 
10.Wishing/Greeting people                                                      
   12.01 a.m. Up to 11.59.a.m. Good morning
   Exactly at 12.00 noon -  Good noon
   12.00 noon to 4.00 p.m. Good afternoon
   4.00 till 12.00 midnight – good evening
   After 12.00,midnight - good morning
   
 
11.Parting with someone.
   Day time – say good day, see you/see you soon , bye etc.
   Evening – say goodnight/ bye/see you (up to 11.59 p.m.)
   NOTE: Good day/night is same as saying bye
 
12.Congratulating people on
   Birth day – Happy birth/grand + day, congratulation
   New year  - Wish you a very happy/prosperous+ new year
   Married   - Wish you a very happy married life or just say congratulation
   Achievement – Well done/excellent/marvelous/congratulation/Remarkable

No comments:

Post a Comment